Window Gallery

The following briefly describes the people that the windows memorialize.  

Sources: Stones of the Past, Mortar of the Present, Booklet Compilation by Marjorie and Judith Bronk for the 100th Anniversary of the current church building, 1990s. Photos by Paul G. Preuss, 2023.


JOSIAH HAND           1793 - 1855
SARAH JANE PIERSONS     1805 - 1900


Josiah Hand was a Kingsbury Supervisor from 1831 – 1840. His wife, Sarah Jane Hand, was one of four members of the church living in town who had been present at the dedication of the original church in 1826. A widow at the time of the 1895 dedication, she lived on the corner of Main and Mechanic Streets. 

Symbols: Chalice, grapes, I am the True Vine (faith and worship, holy communion, Christ)




No information has been found about Benjamin Teller, other than the fact that he moved to Sandy Hill from Greene County. His son Matthew was born in a house on Main Street near Canal Street (now Pearl Street). Matthew was a druggist and the proprietor of Teller's Condition Powders located in Flood's Exchange on Main Street. He mustered out of the New York Volunteers, Company H, 22nd Regiment, raised in the Town of Kingsbury, as captain on June 19, 1863. Elizabeth's name appeared on the church roll as a member in 1877. 

Symbols: Crown with olive branch, lilies (kingly office of Christ and victory, innocence and heavenly bliss)

BAKER Window

E.D. BAKER          1812 - 1895
ELLEN M. BAKER    1814 - 1904

Elisha Baker, having received a common school education, went to work at age seventeen as a printer for the Sandy Hill Herald. He married Ellen Matthews in 1834, and an 1866 map showed the family living on Mulberry Street. In 1841 he took over as owner and editor of the Sandy Hill Herald, a position he held until the fall of 1865. It was a strongly democratic newspaper.

He served two terms as Postmaster, was President of Sandy Hill in 1871, and when the Reform Club was organized in 1878 to promote total abstinence he was chosen as Chaplain. He had been ordained Elder of the Presbyterian Church in 1853 and in 1877 served as Clerk of Session. 

Symbols: Anchor, lilies, iris (hope, resurrection, sword lily, sorrow of the Virgin)


AMARIAH HOLBROOK     1814 - 1877
FREMONT HOLBROOK    1859 - 1868

Amariah Holbrook was born in Hartford, the son of Amariah and Vina Holbrook. He was a molder and contractor living in a house on the corner of Spring Street and River Street. His first wife, Hannah S. Lamson, whom he married in 1838, died in 1846. His second wife Helen Marr Strong, whom he married in 1850, was the mother of his five children including Fremont, who died in 1868 at age nine. In 1870 he was listed as a canal contractor. A member of the Odd Fellows, he also served as President of Sandy Hill, a position that later became mayor.

Symbols: Latin Cross, Crown with olive branch  (God's suffering love, kingly office and victory)


JOSEPH MACFARLAND      1826 - 1887

Joseph MacFarland was a druggist with a store in the Cronkhite Block on Main Street. His business partner was a Mr. Skinner; thus the business was called Skinner & MacFarland. His home was on Mechanic Sreet near Main Street. 

Active in the community of Sandy Hill, he served as its President in 1860, 1865, 1867-68, and 1870. In 1867 he was also listed as a member of the Board of Education. The Presbyterian Church records show him as an Elder in 1875 and a Trustee in 1879. 

Symbols: Open Bible, IHS, Cross with circle  (Word of God, Jesogram, the first three letters of the word Jesus written in Greek capitals, eternal good)

WRIGHT  Window

JAMES WRIGHT    1802 - 1858
CHARITY T. WRIGHT    1804 - 1894

James Wright was born in Westfield, Massachusetts in 1802. At fourteen years of age he went to live with Governor Slade of Vermont, with whom he learned the trade of printer. In 1821 he founded the Sandy Hill Herald which he edited for twenty years until he sold it to Elisha Baker. His wife, Emeline Caldwell, died in 1828. 

His second wife was Charity Baker, who was the daughter of John Baker. John was the youngest son of the first settler in Sandy Hill (Albert Baker). Charity and James together had seven children, three sons and four daughters. 

Mr. Wright served as Postmaster for fourteen years. He managed a drug store (which he established) until 1845 when he moved to New York City. During his time in Sandy Hill he was a prominent member of the Presbyterian Church and a useful, active citizen. He lived in New York for his remaining years but died in Sandy Hill on Sept. 17, 1858. 

Symbols: Eight pointed star, Latin cross, Crown (Regeneration or spiritual renewal through baptism, empty cross represents a risen and living Christ, kingly office of Christ)

DERBY  Window

JOHN DERBY           1845 - 1925
MARGARET DERBY    1845 - 1919

The Hon. John Hamilton Derby, the only son of George F. and Jane F. Howland Derby, was born in Sandy Hill on June 20, 1845. He married Margaret F. Stewart in Meadville, Pennsylvania, on Sept. 6, 1870. They had three children. 

There was hardly an interest in the thriving village of Sandy Hill with which John Derby was not connected. He was one of the first directors of Howland and Miller, a paper manufacturer. The company was later sold to Union Bag and was one of the largest mills in the country, specializing in the manufacturing of manila paper. 

He was one of the first directors of the Union Bag & Paper Company, having also served as its first vice president. Mr. Derby served for at least twenty years on the Board of Education, represented Kingsbury on the Board of Supervisors, was a State Senator from 1892-93, was one of the organizers of the Sandy Hill Power Company, was a director of Spring Brook Water, was a director of the First National Bank of Sandy Hill, and was Vice President of the Glens Falls Trust. 

Mr. Derby was ordained an Elder of the church in 1893. He also served as Treasurer of the church and was a member of the Board of Trustees, serving for a time as its president. 

Symbols: Descending dove with rays of light, Chi Rho, Alpha and Omega (Holy Spirit and Divinity, Christogram, Beginning and end)

ROGERS  Window

CHARLES ROGERS    1800 - 1874
SUSAN A. ROGERS     1805 - 1885

Charles Rogers was born in Northumberland on April 30, 1800. His father James Rogers, who was a leading businessman in Washington and Saratoga Counties, soon removed to Fort Edward. When Charles was fourteen, Yale College refused to receive or examine him on account of his years, so he entered Union, graduating in 1818. He read law and was admitted to the bar, but never practiced, preferring instead to live the life of a country gentleman. 

Besides the care of his estate, he devoted a good share of his leisure to botanical and geological researches and general literary pursuits. (His house was located on the whole block of Maple, Cherry, Pearl, and Oak Streets in Sandy Hill.)

In 1827 he married Susan A. Clark, the only daughter of Dr. Russell Clark, one of the most eminent physicians in northern New York. They raised a family of three sons and three daughters. 

He entered the political field as a champion of DeWitt Clinton and was a supporter of the Whig and Republican parties. For many years the addresses to the people and other campaign documents were the presentations of his polished pen. 

At the outbreak of the Civil War, Mr. Rogers entered heart and soul into the struggle. His voice and pen and all strong energies of his nature were enlisted in the country's cause.  

Symbols: Alpha and Omega, Jesogram, Crown (not pictured), Lilies and Daisies (Beginning and end - surrounded by an olive branch, the providence of God toward his children, and victory-purity-innocence)

HOWLAND  Window (detail)

ENOS HOWLAND   1819 - 1877
SUSAN C. MURPHY HOWLAND    1823 - 1909

Enos Howland was the son of Stephen Howland who built the first manila paper mill in the United States, in Sandy Hill. Stephen had moved here from Galway in 1844. When he retired in 1852 his sons Enos and Amasa succeeded him. Enos disposed of his paper interests in Sandy Hill and moved to Fort Ann. He built and operated a mill there until 1865 when he returned to Sandy Hill. 

Symbols: Grapes and vines, Budded cross with palm, Palms, Lilies, Daisies (Christ and His followers, trefoil design, Trinity, Christians' reward when life is over, resurrection, innocence of the Holy Child)



The large window at the front of the sanctuary was given by Grace Kellogg Paris (Mrs. Preston Paris), daughter of Rev. and Mrs. Kellogg, in memory of her parents. Rev. Kellogg served as pastor from 1880 - 1921 and was pastor at the time of the dedication of the new church in 1895. Indeed his effective ministry to the congregation necessitated the construction of a larger church. This window was dedicated in 1926. 

Symbols: Lilies (resurrection)
The scene portrays Psalm 121, "I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills."